Consortium Connects are online professional learning roundtables or conversations that are free for NCSSS Member Schools.
Register for the topic you're interested in. Join other teachers and administrators for professional learning and the sharing of ideas.
Consortium Connects 2021 Schedule
|January||1/26||Equity and Inclusion: We have the POWER!|
|February||2/25||Creating a Valuable Partnership for Your School|
|March||3/11||International Engineering Development Partnerships|
|April||4/13||COVID Testing in K-12 Schools|
|April||4/20||Equity and Inclusion Series: Understanding Cultural Competence and Responsiveness|
|May||5/18||Virtual Learning Across the Globe: Creating a Cross-Cultural Design Thinking Program|
|September||9/21||Equity and Inclusion Series: Third in the Series|
May 18 at 11 a.m. EST:
Virtual Learning Across the Globe: Creating a Cross-Cultural Design Thinking Program
When the world went virtual in 2020-2021, Illinois Tech (Chicago, IL, USA), the KAUST School (Thuwal, Saudi Arabia) and George Westinghouse Preparatory High School (Chicago, IL, USA) took advantage of the online learning format to create the inaugural TechTeams Design Thinking Program! For a one-month period, the Illinois Tech Pre-College team brought together students from both high schools for a series of virtual field trips across time zones. Students learned about the design thinking process, rooted in Illinois Tech's areas of expertise in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Between meetings, students worked on interdisciplinary projects to address real-world issues concerning clean water, mask design, and more. Students shared their interdisciplinary projects with peers worldwide, learning about local contexts and cultures in the process.
Consortium Connects Previous Conversations
Members may watch or listen to the on-demand versions of the previous Consortium Connects:
- COVID Testing in K-12 Schools
- International Engineering Development Partnerships
- Creating a Valuable Partnership for Your School
- Equity and Inclusion: We have the POWER!
- Admissions & Placement Tests for 2021-22
- Keeping Students Engaged: Summer Programs During COVID-19
- Looking Ahead to Laboratory Experiences
- End of Year Activities & A Look at Next Year Scenarios and presentation materials
- Wraparound Student Support
- The Impact of the CARES Act on STEM Educators
- A Conversation Around Distance Learning
- Incorporating Coding into Introductory Physics Curriculum
- Being a Better Research Project Adviser
- The 'E' in STEM: Teaching Engineering in the Classroom & Maker Space
- STEM Summer Camps
- Exploring Research Competitions
- Working in Groups vs. Group Work
- Setting Students Up For Success
- Using Integral Calculus Throughout the Yearlong, Introductory Physics Course
Seeking Conversation Leaders
We are always looking for speakers to lead the Consortium Connects conversations. You can pick a topic that's of interest or work with NCSSS to find a topic of interest for our members.